The holiday season is a great time to think about helping needy animals. The city's rescues groups and shelters are inundated with animals that need desperately need homes. Adoption is one option, but please try to resist giving an animal as gift. After the holidays, many just end up back in shelters. Instead, consider giving an adoption gift certificate at your local animal shelter.
Another way to help is to donate items such as beds, toys, towels, etc. to a shelter's "wish list" or attend a fundraiser to help raise money for rescue efforts. Check out some of the events below:
FUNDRAISERS & BENEFITS
Sat. Dec. 6
- Angellicle Cats will host In the St. Nick of Time to help raise money for to pay for rescue and medical costs. For details: http://anjelliclecats.homestead.com/
- Posh Pets Rescue: Howlidays Festival and Fundraiser, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at NY Dog Spa and Hotel, 32 West 25th St. Details
- Rawhide Rescue Photos with Santa. 1:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at PetSmart, 145 Promenade Boulevard, Bridgewater, NJ. Details
Sunday, Dec. 7
- Photos with Santa to benefit BARC shelter. Details
- Free Cat Spay & Neuter Clinic at AC&C Brooklyn Care Center, 2336 Linden Boulevard, Brooklyn. Call (917) 579-1955.
Monday, Dec. 8
- Animal Care & Control of New York City (AC&C) kicks off its Holiday Donation and Toy Drive. Help bring joy and warmth to homeless NYC animals by donating new or gently used toys, along with unopened pet food, blankets and towels. Drop-off at AC&C shelters. www.nycacc.org.
Tues., Dec. 9
- Animal Haven Soho's is hosting A Winter Wonderland Holiday Cocktail Party. 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. www.animalhavenshelter.orgg
Thursday, Dec. 11
- Stray from the Heart will host Home for the Holidays benefit for stray animals. 7p.m. to 10 p.m. www.strayfromtheheart.org
For a complete December listing go to www.animalalliancenyc.org
Sat. Dec. 6
- The ASPCA is waiving adoption fees on cats this weekend and next in it's "Free Over Three" program. For details go to www.aspca.org.
- K-9 Kastle: Adoption Van at M.S. 51 William Alexander, Brooklyn. Details